[Pixman] Plan to release final development version before stable branch

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:41:55 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 1:29 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> down.

> what

> development

> >> That's strange, because I only started working on pixman during June of
> >> 2015...
> >

> > You are right. That was just a general email I sent trying to get
> somebody
> > to look at the patches. Searching in the history I found 3 of these.

> his
> resulting
> >>
> >> Could you send me those emails ?
> >

> > I forwarded the big one from him and my response. The patches I have had
> > since then I believe address his concerns and preserve the 2-filter
> > convolution api, they are just bug fixes and some efficiency changes.

> discussion.

> >> Great!

> but

> >> ok, I'll try to take a look next week or so.
> >>
> >> Oded
> >

> Hi Bill,
>
> I read most of the emails you sent me and I cleared time tomorrow to
> review your patches.
>
> Having said that, IMHO, I believe it would be too risky to merge them
> into the final development release. This is due to a combination of
> two things:
>
> A. This release, although it is a "development release" is used by
> current distributions (fedora 22,23, ubuntu, debian). That's because
> there was a big gap in the release schedule earlier this year.
>
> B. The changes here affect users of pixman and cairo, by changing the
> way pixman behaves. So even if your patches are perfect, and the
> result is a better pixman, we need to give time to users (and to
> cairo) to adapt to it. This can only be done in master branch, not in
> stable branches.
>
> So, what I intend to do is to:
>
> A. Review your patches and if necessary, ask you to fix issues.
>
> B. Assuming no objection will be made by other pixman developers
> during the next couple of weeks, I will merge the patch series into
> master *after* I branch out the 0.34 release.
>
> That way, the patch series will be included in the future development
> releases that will be packaged inside "testing" distributions, such as
> fedora rawhide and debian unstable, and thus we will have time to
> receive feedback from users about the changes.
>
> I hope this is accepted by you and by everyone else. If not, please tell
> me.
>
> Thanks,
>
>        Oded

I am fine with this all being for the next release and will be happy to
answer any questions.

I would like to know what a compile-time test for whether libpixman is this
next release or not, and a run-time test to see if X (using both xlib and
xcb) is using this next release of pixman. This will allow code to be added
to Cairo to automatically send the filtering to pixman when possible, and
hopefully get that added at the same time this is supported in the pixman
release.