[Pixman] Is Pixman being maintained at all?

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 20:21:13 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt, Siarhei
>
> As you probably already know, my name is Oded Gabbay and I'm working
> at Red Hat Desktop graphics team, and my current focus is on ppc64le.
> During the last couple of months, I've been working on adding support
> for ppc64le to pixman (fixing vmx fast-paths and adding new
> implementation). Some of the patches have been upstreamed (by Pekka
> Paalanen) and some are in the process of review (by Siarhei and
> others).

Welcome!

> From reading the above email thread, and from talking to Soren, Pekka
> and others, I understand you may need some help, in terms of time and
> resources, for actively maintaining pixman (last release was 1 year
> ago).

To be clear, I don't really consider myself a pixman maintainer -- I
was actually kind of surprised to see that I was the #2 committer.

I work full-time on Mesa, and the work I did on pixman was for an old
contract job at OLPC and then some stuff for fun (Loongson MIPS).

> If that is indeed the case, I would like to offer my help to make
> regular releases for Pixman, both for upstream and Fedora, as well as
> do bug-triage and code reviews.
>
> I believe I have the available time to do it as I'm working 100% on
> graphics in Red Hat. In addition, as a Red Hat employee, I have the
> resources to build/test pixman on multitude of architectures, and use
> Fedora build system as well. moreover, I'm already the maintainer of a
> fairly large kernel gpu driver (amdkfd - upstream since February), so
> I have maintainer experience.
>
> So far I had already helped Pekka clean the patchwork site he setup
> and I will continue to make sure it is updated. In addition, I got
> packager role for pixman in Fedora, so I'm able to release new
> packages.
>
> Waiting for your response. Feel free to express your opinions - I
> already have thick skin from the kernel work ;)

That all sounds fantastic. I'd personally be very happy to see pixman
maintained by another Red Hatter :)

I'm of course around to help out when I have time.

Thanks,
Matt