[Pixman] Pushing unreviewed patches to the pixman git repository

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 22:55:39 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 6:06 PM, Siarhei Siamashka
<siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that some people with commit access started pushing patches
> to the pixman git repository without giving the pixman mailing list
> subscribers any reasonable chance to review them:
>
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/pixman/commit/?id=8b95e0e460baa499e54c19d29bf761d34c25badc
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/pixman/commit/?id=bd2b49185b28c5024597a5e530af9fc25de3193a
>
> Yes, these fixes were trivial. But still it would be more polite to
> actually post patches to the mailing list, collect some reviews and
> then *wait* at least severaldays before pushing them to the repository
> (unless the issue is really urgent). Not everyone constantly monitors
> the mailing list and is able to provide an instant response.

I hope you don't consider those two patches to be similar cases.

One was committed without going to the mailing list by someone with
one patch in pixman every 5 years.

The other was was sent to the mailing list by a person with plenty of
pixman contributions and reviewed by two people. In Mesa we wait 24
hours, for the reasons you describe. Looks like it was close to 24
hours in this case.

I'm happy to wait more than 24 hours in the future -- that's no
problem. I'm just taking issue with the suggestion that the two cited
examples are somehow the same.