[Pixman] [patch] Gradient dithering into pixman

Marc Jeanmougin marc at jeanmougin.fr
Tue Mar 27 09:20:20 UTC 2018

Hi,

Le 27/03/2018 à 02:04, Søren Sandmann a écrit :
> A long time ago I wrote this:
>
>     https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pixman/2012-July/002175.html
>
> about how dithering could be added to pixman. The basic idea is that
> "dithering" is a property of the destination image, not of the
> gradient.  I still think this is the right way to do it.

Thank you for your input. Would it be possible to use your preferred way
of doing it to my patch ?

Le 27/03/2018 à 03:47, Bill Spitzak a écrit :
> I don't understand why you would want to disable it when writing .png
> files. There will be banding in the .png file, which I would think is
> worse than the increased size.
Depends. In many cases there is no visible banding, and some people may
not want a x100 filesize increase for it (for files that are entirely
made of gradients).

> Also kind of fools the user if they did not look at the .png file and
> only at InkScape's display.
We already have such differences for filter quality, and of course it
would be possible to switch it in the display windows for previewing.

--
Marc