Proposed: libpcre

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sun Aug 1 09:11:55 EEST 2004

<quote who="Havoc Pennington">

> I don't think freedesktop.org should be in the business of blessing one
> implementation detail vs. another. The point here is interoperability
> and avoiding the negative user impact you get from e.g. multiple MIME
> systems.

Agree - platform should probably only include packages that are important
for desktop interop.

> This line of thinking might also impact libxml or pkgconfig. Perhaps
> there's an additional reason to include something in the platform (that
> it is a dependency of a package that does interop stuff).
>
> But there's another line that may be relevant: fd.org platform should
> potentially only include packages that are actively part of the fd.org
> community. So e.g. this would exclude libpng.

I think listing important, common dependencies is worthwhile, much in the
same way that projects "up the stack" will specify a dependency on the fd.o
platform. So, interoperability may be less of a concern here, it's mostly a
matter of common infrastructure.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

    "I'm taking no part in your merry 5-way clusterfuck - sort that mess
                 out between yourselves." - Alexander Viro