Proposed: systemtray-spec

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Aug 14 16:41:09 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 23:46 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I'm not aware of issues with XEMBED itself (other than "systray should
> be a notification system that doesn't hardcode displaying a widget") -
> afaik XEMBED works for displaying a widget, if that's what we wanted to
> do. But I agree that we don't.

I implemented it for Wine (though the patch is not yet merged). It's OK,
though it's a bit easy to fall foul of race conditions. I had a problem
with this though that's more to do with win32 integration, but I noticed
that Skype *also* had a race-prone implementation. As Qt doesn't support
it natively I guess they wrote their own code to do it, or used the
QXEmbed stuff and added a bit on top. But sometimes their tray icon
doesn't dock.

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas for how to make it better though :)