Xserver, etc.

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Sun Jan 25 13:21:48 EET 2004

I'm very interested in seeing Linux growing into the desktop area.
Therefore I also try to follow what happens.

Concerning freedesktop.org, it is not clear for me, where's the difference of
its Xserver and the XFree86 server.
Can you enlighten me, please?

Another suggestion:
If fd.o wants to provide the basis of a desktop environment, I see it a
critical task to also provide a set of _really good fonts_ !
Whenever I was looking for information how to improve the ugly looking fonts
on an X installation, I found pages telling me from where and how to
download/install _Microsoft_ fonts!!

Look at the following extracted from
http://feenix.burgiss.net/ldp/fdu/conclusions.html

"Further, life will be easier if you install at a minimum the so-called
Microsoft core web fonts. You don't need zillions of fonts for every day
usage. A nice handful of the basic ones works wonders. This is probably the
single most important step "

Are there any plans doing something in this direction?
What about packaging some of the freely available fonts together as a default
set ?
--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
registered as user #332716 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.