getting started

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 26 00:18:20 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:42, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:25 am, George Kraft wrote:
> > First, specify what it takes to support a minimal gtk+ and gnome
> > "hello world" program (ie., take baby steps).
> >
> > http://www.linuxbase.org/~gk4/gtkhello.png
> >
> > http://www.linuxbase.org/~gk4/gnomehello.png
> Why gtk+ and gnome? Isn't the platform supposed to be desktop environment
> agnostic? Why not base it on GNUstep?

In my mind here are the steps/phases/priorities that I would follow:
1) define & test a core desktop that is gnome/gtk+/kde/qt agnostic
2) define & test toolkits (ie., gtk+, qt)
3) define & test desktop toolkits (ie., gnome, kde)
4) migrate common portions of desktop toolkits to core desktop

For steps 2, 3, & 4 then their perspective supporters would volunteer
resources.  I believe conformance testing will block the weakly
supported toolkits and desktops.  Natural selection will take its course
in the standardization process.  :-)

The desktop objectives and library/api selection criteria for the steps
outlined above should be part of the process.

--
George (gk4)