My monthly 'oh yeah, the platform' mail

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 19:16:06 EET 2005

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 10:05 -0700, Mike Hearn wrote:

> Let's say that we ran with Havocs suggestion and put fontconfig in any
> such freedesktop.org platform. What does this really mean? Obviously
> it means that you can depend on it being present if you depend on FDOP
> 1.0, as toolkits/desktops and maybe apps will, but does it mean:
>
> - fontconfig will maintain a stable library interface
> - fontconfig command line utilities will remain stable (ie, not remove
>   or change options)
> - fontconfig XML config file will remain stable

	In order for a module to be included in the platform, I think that its
stability guarantees about the ABI/API that would be needed, but it
would do no harm at all if the stability level of other interfaces like
the command line options, file format/location etc. were defined as part
of the process of inclusion.

Cheers,
Mark.