hey, remember the platform?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 1 10:11:22 EEST 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 09:33, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Aaron J. Seigo">
>
> > would you care to list which desktop projects these are, what cairo's
> > role in them is and what versions have shipped with Cairo?
>
> Your summary is pretty much correct - they're all working with it in some
> way.

so perhaps when we start seeing production releases of cairo driven software
it makes sense to consider it.

> Applications form the lion's share of what makes up the 'Free desktop', so
> it would be strange to exclude their needs from the 'Free desktop'
> platform.

that's actually the opposite of what i was implying. it's easy to pick a
couple of "important" desktop apps that are using a given technology, but we
ought to look at the broader spectrum of applications. it's a much broader
world out there than experimental OOo work and Mozilla.org's SVG renderer.

> > i don't think rushing it into an FD.o blessed platform is particularly
> > useful.
>
> I didn't suggest a rush, but provided reasons why it would not make sense
> to exclude it.

then let me rephrase for clarity: adding cairo right now is jumping the gun.
it is too early for it to be a part of the platform release without
redefining what the platform is about. let's revisit cairo as a candidate at
a time when it makes sense, e.g. when there are stable pieces of software
relying on it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo