hey, remember the platform?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jul 2 21:25:53 EEST 2005

On Friday 01 July 2005 02:49, Daniel Stone wrote:
> You seem to be assuming that fd.o is actually a coherent, defined
> organisation.  Which it isn't.

this is a cop out and not particularly useful.

FD.o has a website and a public identity (brand, if you will). it has
documents and software associated with it, it has hardware resources, it has
processes for some basic items, etc, etc..

whether there is a defined organization of people or not, there is certainly a
defined entity here.

> What the platform really needs is for people to say 'I am <special
> interest group>, and what would really be useful to me is <stuff>.
> <some list> is what I would see useful in a platform, and <other stuff>
> is what I would see as counter-productive.  Please feel free to run
> ideas by me.'

i agree. where i seem to diverge from most others here is that i don't believe
these people are going to magically appear. i think there needs to be some
leadership excercised to reach out and help find these people and show them
the path here. once here, i think things can go well. but i do not see these
people appearing magically of their own accord to be realistic.

i say this because it hasn't happened yet.

--
Aaron J. Seigo