Plymouth progress patch

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 17:31:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Charlie Brej <fedora-art at brej.org> wrote:
> I will make those changes and commit that patch. I was hoping to do it by
> now but it may have to wait till the weekend. I will just base it off the
> update calls which will make it simpler. There are a few more things I
> wanted to put in before Fedora 10.
>
> 1: I showed the current setup to a few experienced users and they all
> expected space or return to show the messages in a window in graphical mode
> (like on rhgb). This is why I wanted to get the text rendering stuff.
Maybe just make space do the same thing escape does?

> 2: Reduce the show-splash delay as on solar theme this stands at 0.3 secs
> which adds to the boot time (similar for spinfinity). This can be done by,
> instead of loading the images during the show-splash call, doing the setup
> (which does the loads) on the first timeout call.
That won't really help.  If you do it during the first timeout you're
still blocking boot up, because all boot messages go through plymouth
to get logged.  One way to fix this would be to process boot messages
in a separate thread.  On the other hand 0.3 secs is significantly
better than the 6-10 seconds that we had with rhgb.

Also, after every service is started, plymouth gets notified of it,
and init blocks until that notification finishes.

> 3: Add some kind of simple fedora logo graphic into the text mode splash.
So if you're running text mode, you've likely got 80x24 cells to work
with.  That's not really enough for a logo.

Even in cases where there are enough pixels for a logo, I'm not
convinced it would be a good idea.  If there are enough pixels for a
logo, then there are enough pixels for a graphical plugin.  So if the
user isn't running a graphical plugin then it's probably an explicit
decision to not see graphics.

> Which seem ok? I'd prefer a lot of testing time so when is the freeze?
> Unless something comes up I should have all of those done by Monday which
> hopefully should give ample time to find any bugs. But if the freeze is very
> soon then these can easily wait.

Freeze is Tuesday.

--Ray