olpc boot splash

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:40:36 PDT 2009

>> The olpc runs a boot animation which I've tried converting over to
>> plymouth rather than duplicating effort. The problem I have is that
>> I'm not really a C coder let alone know much about plymouth.
>>
>> My current attempt can be found here. It is basically a copy of one of
>> the other graphical splash plugins with some changes but I can't seem
>> to get it to work. There's a patch to the various build files to add
>> the new splash in and one for the dir of new files.
>> http://pbrobinson.fedorapeople.org/olpc/plymouth/
>
> The problem is that the images are so big that when plymouth tries to center
> them they run off the edge of the screen and the throbber fails to display
> them when the coordinates are negative.

I didn't create the images, they were part of the original boot anim.
At a guess they would be something like 1200x900 which is the native
screen size of the OLPX-XO

>> I also have a couple of queries that I can't seem to work out from
>> google. Firstly is it possible to specify a different splash for
>> shutdown vs startup.
>
> Not currently but that would be trivial to add.

The olpc boot-anim shows a static image on shut down with some caution
icons for the kids so it would be useful as a future option.

>> And the other query is does the boot anim repeat
>> until the boot up is complete or can you set to just run once and
>> average the total amount of images over the time of the boot?
>
> I assume you don't want it to throb but to go with the progress? Also you
> would like the frames to be scaled to the size of the resolution of the
> screen, or are you targeting just one res size?
> A better starting point would be the "glow" plugin which does most of what
> you want. Does this do what you want it to do?
>
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~brejc8/temp/olpc_plymouth.tar.gz
>
> There is no scaling atm so it may be partly off screen.

Progress sounds exactly like what I wanted, I didn't realised the
difference. The XO laptop is the one res screen but ultimately their
targetting it for multiple devices so scaling would be useful. I
suspect with scaling as well we can use a much smaller res picture and
scale it up which would then use less space and presumably less memory
too. What is the usual size of the plymouth boot images?

I'll check it out when I get home tonight with a machine I can test on.

Thanks,
Peter