Using plymouth in Gentoo

Daniel Gultsch daniel at gultsch.de
Thu Apr 30 13:24:11 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

I recently found a video showing Fedora booting with plymouth and I
liked it. So I wanted to use plymouth with my favorite distri (gentoo).
I know I'm enduser and the info text on freedesktop.org says plymouth
is not meant to be installed by end users but I want to give it a try.
I have KMS running and am using my own initramfs anyway (encrypted root
disk) so how hard can it be? Can anybody please give me some straight
forward hints on how to use plymouth? (The INSTALL file is empty and
the README file is boring)
What I would guess is: Compile plymouth. put plymouthd (and it themes)
in initramfs, do the initial root partition decryption (ok this is
just for me) start plymouthd. mount rootfs. and then?
Well I could install fedora and analyse the way they do it. unpack the
initramfs and stuff, but would be easier if somebody could just tell
me. I'm even willing to give something back and convert your hints
into an easy step by step howto.

thanks

Daniel