How to make a single plugin and install it.

Jonathan Greig redteam316 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 20:43:44 PST 2009

I have plymouth source from git and have already done autoconf automake
./configure make on fedora 10. It builds everything and the .so files are
generated. I have been using the spinfinity plugin as a test. I modified 1
line in the animation function so that the spinny throbber image should
appear at 1/4 screen width rather than center(a simple test to start with).

line 206 in spinfinity plugin.c
[code]
area.width / 4.0 - width / 2.0,
[/code]

When I:
1) copy the spinfinity.so file that was generated in the .libs directory to
/usr/lib64/plymouth
2) copy the spinfinity folder to /usr/share/plymouth/spinfinity
3) /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-plugin spinfinity
4) /usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd

it does not work. I get the fallback to the white-blue progressbar. What is
the proper way to install a plugin? I know there isn't any documentation on
plugins yet, but I might be able to help somewhat if I could even test some
of my own code.

Also, I am familiar with usplash. Is it possible to make a plugin from a
single makefile in a plugin directory somewhere else on my harddrive rather
than having to make the whole source? I can barely understand Makefiles as
is but all this automake .in .am stuff just further adds to the confusion.