[topic] in summary line (was Re: olpc boot splash)

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Thu May 21 07:13:24 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Charlie Brej <plymouth at brej.org> wrote:
> Ray Strode wrote:
>>> I'll probably be merging the branch to master soon unless you've got
>>> any concerns with it.
>>
>> I've merged it to master now.
> Do you want future commits to have the [something] tags on the first line?
It's an experiment I tried when I did the merge.  It's what the kernel
and a few other projects do.

The problem it solves is say, we're working on a splash plugin and in
the summary line we have:

Adjust time of progress animation

Which doesn't give any indication *which* splash plugin.  So we could
change it to

Adjust time of progress animation in the throbgress plugin

But then the summary line gets long and may get ellipsized before
saying which splash plugin.
I think the git maintainers recommend a summary line less than 50
characters to prevent it from getting ellipsized in some viewers.

If we do, instead

[throbgress] Adjust time of progress animation

then it's much more concise, although maybe a little noisier looking.

What do you think? I'm open to having them or not.

--Ray