Progress and transitions

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Wed May 27 07:21:23 PDT 2009

Hi,

>> > Also should the "radeon(hd)" KMS driver not be able to transition
>> seamlessly to the GDM screen?
>> radeon should be able to, but radeonhd can't as far as I know.
>
> I see. I think only the radeonhd driver supports our R500+ cards so
> we are stuck with that for the time being. GDM transitions aren't
> that important.
Pretty sure radeon supports r500 cards fine.  At this point, I don't
think radeonhd supports anything that radeon doesn't in fact (I could
be wrong though).

>> You basically need a driver that supports backing:
>>  X -nr
>> Also, make sure you're using a build of GDM that supports the
>> transition. I think you're using a standard Fedora build though?
>
> Yes - Fedora 11 but with our own initrd that configures the network rootfs.
Should work fine then if you switch to radeon.

> I see. On closer inspection it looks like that is being called but I just get
> a blank black screen when shutting down. I suspect this is related to the way
> busybox is setting up the initial console compared to when booting from the
> Fedora initrd. I will try and get some more debug info out of it.
Hmm, I don't think it would have anything to do with that.  Not sure
what the problem could be though.

You might try going to runlevel 3 or 4 and then running the commands
in plymouth-shutdown manually and see if it works.

If it doesn't, throw a --debug on the end and see if it says why.

--Ray