custom plymouth theme

Charlie Brej plymouth at brej.org
Mon Jun 7 06:00:07 PDT 2010

On 07/06/10 13:37, Chris Cole wrote:
> On 06/04/2010 04:29 PM, Charlie Brej wrote:
>> On 06/04/2010 03:55 PM, Chris Cole wrote:
>> > Hello all, I would like to make a custom plymouth theme for Ubuntu
>> > 10.04. I followed the instructions here:
>> >

>> http://www.ubunturoot.com/2010/05/how-to-create-simple-plymouth-theme.html
>>

>> > But it falls back to the default Ubuntu splash. I haven't been able to
>> > find anything that works.
>> > Do you all have a guide that can be followed?
>>
>> Problem is probably that it has not updated the initrd. The command to
>> update the initrd on Ubuntu is:
>> # sudo update-initramfs -u
>
> Actually, I have updated the initrd, it's the last step of that
> tutorial. As you can read from the comments, nobody has gotten it to
> work. Can someone send me an example of a Plymouth Theme that works via
> a script instead of a plugin? The only themes I've seen work properly
> use plugins.

When you say "default Ubuntu splash", is that the graphical one, or the
text one?
If it is the text one then that is probably because of the lack of KMS
when using proprietary drivers. You can force a graphical mode by adding
"vga=askme" to the kernel line, then when youre asked, type a number of
a reasonable mode. (best if it is 32bit). Then see if it boots using a
graphical theme. If you want to make that mode permanent add
"vga=0x[code]" where [code] is your number from before.