script not working on boot

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 07:51:22 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Christopher Howard
<choward at wavecrest.net> wrote:

> On 4/26/2011 2:24 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Christopher Howard
>> <choward at wavecrest.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> [main.c]                        initialize_environment:source built on
>>> Mar
>>>  4 2011
>>
>> Oh interesting.  One of the changes I was talking about went in on
>> March 9th, so F15 is a little out of date too.
>> But that's not your problem...
>>>
>>> [./plugin.c]            create_heads_for_active_connectors:Only one
>>> monitor
>>> configured, and driver doesn't support mapping console, so letting
>>> frame-buffer take over
>>
>> We use /dev/fb instead of the drm interface here for weird historical
>> reasons that I should I try to get fixed before F15 is released.
>>
>>> [./plugin.c]                                  query_device:Visual is
>>> FB_VISUAL_PSEUDOCOLOR; not using graphics
>>
>> But your /dev/fb isn't good enough for graphics, so fail.
>>
>> ALSO....
>>>
>>> [./plugin.c]                            show_splash_screen:loading header
>>> image
>>> [./plugin.c]                            show_splash_screen:couldn't load
>>> [ply-boot-splash.c]                          ply_boot_splash_show:can't
>>> show
>>> splash: No such file or directory
>>
>> The splash seems to be failing because of a missing file? Can you post
>> a directory listing of
>> /usr/share/plymouth/themes/charge
>> (both on your filesystem and from your initrd) ?
>
> same fedora14 on different box with intel video works with the charge theme.
> but this is ES1000.
>
> anyway here is both listings:
ah, okay.  these error messages are just sloppy logging on my part.
It's failing to load because your /dev/fb is ill suited for full color
graphics, but the "No such file or directory" error message is coming
from the missing (but optional!) header.  I'm basically printing the
wrong error message in the log.

So this should get fixed when we use drm instead of /dev/fb in
rawhide.  I did some of the work toward that end yesterday, and will
try to do the rest in the near future, so hopefully things will start
working for you after that.

--Ray