Plymouth v. hibernation

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Mon Oct 3 18:08:56 PDT 2011

AFAICT, when in-kernel hibernation/thaw is done, plymouth is not
involved, so we just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the
top left of the screen (e.g. Fedora 15).

So, just thinking that it would be useful to:

- put a cut down version of libply into the kernel
- on hibernate/thaw, use call_userhelper to start plymouthd
- do progress bar from within the kernel using libply on hibernate/thaw

Alternatively, we can call both plymouth/plymouthd as user space apps
and then pipe commands from the kernel into plymouth (not sure whether
plymouth can read stdin right now, but that should not be difficult to
do).

Stupid?

--
Bojan