plymouth for unattended OS installers

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 04:45:29 PDT 2011

Hi,

Hey sorry for the delay in reply.

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan at d14n.org> wrote:
> - uclibc doesn't have rpmatch and doesn't support the 'a' modifier for
> strings in *scanf. I just hacked around these, and I'm probably not
> sufficiently motivated to add the missing features to uclibc.
I wouldn't mind a patch that changes plymouth to not use these
functions.  I just used them for convenience.

> - I didn't want to build gtk or drm, so I made them both optional (I
> notice drm was made optional after 0.8.3, but that's what we're using)
> and used the framebuffer renderer instead.
Yea, two new configure options --disable-x11-renderer and
--disable-drm-renderer or whatever would be fine.

> - ply-image.c uses a deprecated libpng function
> (png_set_gray_1_2_4_to_8) that appears to have a replacement
> (png_set_expand_gray_1_2_4_to_8)
This one's already fixed.  I've just been really late on getting a
0.8.4 release out.

> - I added a non-blocking variant of
> ply_event_loop_process_pending_events, not sure if this is actually
> necessary though
I'd be fine with it.  Alternatively, an api that returned the epoll fd
would be fine too (then you could poll it yourself and be sure the
call won't block a priori)

> - since we don't want to allow user input during the install, I
> disabled all the keyboard and unbuffered input code.
This one sounds a little harder to do "neatly" so I'd have to see your
technique before accepting it upstream.

> If any of this would be accepted into plymouth, I'm happy to get my
> patches into shape and submit them, but otherwise I'm equally happy to
> maintain them myself.
great, thanks for the offer.

--Ray