Porting plymouth

sbell at tdt.com sbell at tdt.com
Fri Mar 1 08:13:41 PST 2013

I do have "splash" on the kernel command line.

When I start plymouthd, I get the following on my console:

[main.c]                        initialize_environment:initializing minimal work environment
[main.c]                       get_kernel_command_line:opening /proc/cmdline
[main.c]                       get_kernel_command_line:reading kernel command line
[main.c]                       get_kernel_command_line:Kernel command line is: 'nand-ecc=chip console=ttyO2,115200n8 display=320:240:38:20:15:4:30:3:9000:0x10003F:24 mtdoops.mtddev=omap2-nand mem=84M at 0x80000000 mem=147M at 0x86D00000 loglevel=4 splash mtdparts=omap2-nand.0:512k(x-loader),1664k(u-boot),384k(u-boot-env),12m(initrd),2560k(persistent),-(fs);physmap-flash.0:-(nor) omapfb.vrfb=y omapfb.rotate=2 root=/dev/ram rw ramdisk_size=162993
'
[main.c]                               check_verbosity:checking if tracing should be enabled
[main.c]                               check_verbosity:tracing shouldn't be enabled!
[main.c]                                 check_logging:checking if console messages should be redirected and logged
[main.c]                                 check_logging:logging will be enabled!
[main.c]                        initialize_environment:source built on Feb 28 2013
[main.c]                        initialize_environment:checking if '/dev/tty1' exists
[main.c]                            check_for_consoles:checking for consoles
[main.c]                        add_consoles_from_file:opening /sys/class/tty/console/active
[main.c]                        add_consoles_from_file:reading file
[main.c]                        add_consoles_from_file:console /dev/ttyO2 found!
[main.c]                            check_for_consoles:After processing serial consoles there are now 0 text displays
[main.c]                redirect_standard_io_to_device:redirecting stdio to /dev/tty1

And the following appears on the LCD:

[main.c]                        initialize_environment:Making sure /home/logic/ARM/makeInitFS/miniTemp/var/run/plymouth exists
[ply-utils.c]                          ply_create_directory:directory '/home/logic/ARM/makeInitFS/miniTemp/var/run/plymouth' already exists
[main.c]                        initialize_environment:initialized minimal work environment
[main.c]                       get_cache_file_for_mode:returning cache file '/home/logic/ARM/makeInitFS/miniTemp/var/lib/plymouth//boot-duration'
[main.c]                                          main:entering event loop

When I run `plymouth --show-splash`, nothing appears on my console, and the following appears on the LCD:

[ply-boot-server.c]             print_connection_process_identity:connection is from pid 98 (plymouth --show-splash) with parent pid 72 (sh)
[ply-boot-server.c]                ply_boot_connection_on_request:got show splash request
[main.c]      plymouth_should_ignore_show_splash_calls:checking if plymouth should be running
[main.c]                            check_for_consoles:checking for consoles and adding displays
[main.c]                        add_consoles_from_file:opening /sys/class/tty/console/active
[main.c]                        add_consoles_from_file:reading file
[main.c]                        add_consoles_from_file:console /dev/ttyO2 found!
[main.c]          add_display_and_keyboard_for_console:adding display and keyboard for console /dev/ttyO2
[main.c]                                  set_keyboard:listening for keystrokes
[main.c]                                  set_keyboard:listening for backspace
[main.c]                                  set_keyboard:listening for enter
[main.c]                            check_for_consoles:After processing serial consoles there are now 1 text displays
[main.c]           plymouth_should_show_default_splash:checking if plymouth should show default splash
[main.c]                          show_detailed_splash:Showing detailed splash screen
[main.c]                             start_boot_splash:Loading boot splash theme '/home/logic/ARM/makeInitFS/miniTemp/usr/share/plymouth/themes/details/details.plymouth'
[ply-key-file.c]                       ply_key_file_load_group:trying to load group Plymouth Theme
[ply-key-file.c]                      ply_key_file_load_groups:key file has no more groups
[./plugin.c]                                 create_plugin:creating plugin
[main.c]                             start_boot_splash:attaching plugin to event loop
[main.c]                             start_boot_splash:attaching progress to plugin
[main.c]      add_displays_and_keyboard_to_boot_splash:setting keyboard on boot splash
[main.c]      add_displays_and_keyboard_to_boot_splash:adding text display on boot splash
[ply-terminal.c]                             ply_terminal_open:trying to open terminal '/dev/ttyO2'
[ply-terminal.c]                      ply_terminal_open_device:Unable to open terminal device '/dev/ttyO2': No such file or directory
[ply-terminal.c]                             ply_terminal_open:could not open /dev/ttyO2 : No such file or directory
[main.c]                             start_boot_splash:showing plugin
[ply-boot-splash.c]                          ply_boot_splash_show:showing splash screen
[ply-keyboard.c]         ply_keyboard_watch_for_terminal_input:terminal associated with keyboard isn't open
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:disconnecting source with fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]   ply_event_loop_handle_disconnect_for_source:calling disconnected_handler 0xe288 for fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]   ply_event_loop_handle_disconnect_for_source:done calling disconnected_handler 0xe288 for fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:done disconnecting source with fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:freeing watches for source with fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:done freeing watches for source with fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:freeing destinations for source with fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]   ply_event_loop_free_destinations_for_source:freeing destination (1, 0xc268, 0xe288) of fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:done freeing destinations for source with fd 7
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:removing source with fd 7 from event loop
[ply-event-loop.c]             ply_event_loop_remove_source_node:failed to delete fd 7 from epoll watch list: Bad file descriptor
[ply-event-loop.c]              ply_event_loop_disconnect_source:done removing source with fd 7 from event loop

When I run `plymouth display-message --text="This is a test"`, I see the following on the LCD:

[ply-boot-server.c]             print_connection_process_identity:connection is from pid 108 (plymouth display-message --text=This is a test) with parent pid 72 (sh)
[ply-boot-server.c]                ply_boot_connection_on_request:got show message request
[main.c]                            on_display_message:displaying message This is a test
[...]

Thanks,

Stephen Bell