Plymouth falling back to text mode

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 06:18:39 PDT 2014

Hi,

(cc'ing Harald, dracut maintainer)

> I'm the maintainer of the plymouth package for gentoo. I'm trying to
> update to plymouth 0.9.0 and I found a strange issue, so I subscribed
> to this list hoping I can get some help.
Sure.

> but misses a seat tag, so plymouth ingnores it (had a very quick
> glance at the code, hope I understood it correctly)
Yea, sounds like you got a pretty good grip on the problem.

> I checked the generated initramfs and the file
> /lib/udev/rules.d/71-seat.rules is missing. Dracut includes this file
> only if the systemd module is enabled, and indeed the problem is
> solved if I enable the systemd module in the dracut config.
> The problem is in gentoo systemd is not the default init system. It is
> very well supported (and this is what I use for the record), but the
> default is still openrc. Moreover it would be nice to use plymouth
> even when not using systemd.

Ah okay.  Yea, the udev rule installation should probably be moved to the

50-plymouth/module-setup.sh

from

98-systemd/module-setup.sh

> But is this a plymouth bug or a dracut one? Dracut provides the
> plymouth modules, but it calls the plymouth-populate-initrd script.
> Both of them are not including the needed udev rule to properly mark
> seats.
I think it's a dracut bug because dracut is currently the thing that sets
up udev rules in the initrd.  If we put it in say plymouth-populate-initrd, then
there's a potential for rules to get copied more than once.  It's better if
we do it all in one place I think.

> And, if I can digress for a moment, why not include the dracut
> plymouth module in plymouth? That way it is granted they are in sync.
I could personally go either way on this one.  Harald, what do you think?

--Ray