drop support for text mode plugins?

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 07:14:13 PDT 2015

Hey everyone,

As you all know, if plymouth can't get a graphical splash up it falls
back to doing ascii art animations.  (Either the 3 racing, overlapping
progress bars, or the three blinking dots).  That was important when
plymouth was started because KMS wasn't widely available.

The landscape has changed fairly dramatically in the intervening
years, and I think i'd like to drop support for these kinds of boot
splashes.  Instead, the choices will be "graphical splash" (normaly
situation) or "details" (show all boot messages) with nothing in
between.  This would allow me to cut out a bunch of code from the
codebase and simplify handling of text mode and serial consoles.

Objections? Thoughts?

--Ray