W: plymouth module (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plymouth//.so) missing, skipping that theme.

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Aug 23 13:43:09 UTC 2016

I'm getting that warning when running update-initramfs -u after having
moved my theme to /usr/share/plymouth/themes from /lib/plymouth (location
of themes changed in Ubuntu 16.04).

This is with plymouth 0.9.2 from Ubuntu packages, and the problem seems to
be the same as:

    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2322684

But the workaround(s) described in that thread doesn't seem to work for me.

Looking at lsinitramfs /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-31-generic output I can
confirm that the script.so module that my custom theme uses, and the custom
theme itself, is not installed to the initramfs image. But I'm unsure how
to debug further.

The theme worked fine when it was living in /lib under Ubuntu 15.10 (which
had plymouth 0.9.0).

The warning looks strange to me (as if some sed line went wrong?).

Any tips/pointers are highly welcome, as we need this theme to work on our
Ubuntu-based product.

Thanks in advance,
Elvis Stansvik