Custom boot splash theme only working during shutdown

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon May 9 08:21:11 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've made a very simplistic boot splash theme based on the script plugin
(see attachment).

I install the theme on Kubuntu 15.10 as follows:

1. Copy the plymouth-orexplore-theme directory to /lib/plymouth/themes.

2. Add the theme as an alternative for default.plymouth:

      sudo update-alternatives --install
/lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth \
         default.plymouth
/lib/plymouth/themes/plymouth-theme-orexplore/orexplore.plymouth 100

3. Set the theme as the preferred alternative for default.plymouth:

      sudo update-alternatives --set default.plymouth \
         /lib/plymouth/themes/plymouth-theme-orexplore/orexplore.plymouth

Testing the under X11 with sudo plymouthd ; sudo plymouth show-splash works
fine, and the theme is shown during shutdown.

But (!): during boot-up, the Kubuntu theme is still shown, which I find
quite strange :/

Very grateful for any advice on what I'm doing wrong here, since this is to
be the boot splash for an embedded product we're launching soon.

It's possible that my issue is Kubuntu related, but I think I've followed
the right steps to install the theme. And like I said, it does show up
during shutdown, just not at boot.

Best regards,
Elvis