Plymouth flicker-free shutdown side-effect

Daniel Drake drake at endlessm.com
Mon Jan 21 09:50:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 5:33 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> For your use-case we really only need to patch the xorg modesetting
> driver (as Daniel points out in his reply) and plymouth to use the new
> API, then the 2 flickers on shutdown should go away.

Is it as straightforward as you make it sound there? Would the
modesetting driver always use this ioctl on X server shutdown? (I
guess it doesn't have knowledge of if plymouth is/isn't going to step
in momentarily after)
I am wondering if there would then be cases where X still looks like
it's running even though it has exited, or if there would be
security/privacy concerns about the contents of the last X framebuffer
being held around.

Daniel