Plymouth re-read config when swap root ?

LAHAYE Olivier olivier.lahaye at cea.fr
Wed Sep 11 13:35:51 UTC 2019

Hi,

I’ve written a specially crafted Plymouth them for SystemImager software that shows the progress in host installation.
When the host is installed, the SystemIlager hooks give back control to dracut and the system boots without need to reboot before.

Though, when doing so, Plymouth keep systemimager them active (with no use) while I’d prefer to switch to installed OS theme.

Is there a way to tell Plymouth that it’s new default them has changed and that it needs to re-read it? I’m using dracut in CentOS-7, but I need generic solution. Does dracut tells Plymouth that /sysroot has been swapped? If yes will Plymouth take car of that by re-reading the default theme or should I add a hook to help for the transition? What if the installed OS has no Plymouth installed?
I mean, what’s going on if there is a Plymouth them in initrd/initramfs when booting a linux where no Plymouth is installed?

Thanks for any tips about this.

--
Olivier LAHAYE