[Pm-utils] config files

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 09:10:35 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 12:03 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:13 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Okay, so we need a tiny config file for modules to unload and if to
> > resume the video bios after a hibernate.
> >
> > In CVS at the moment, it's called pm.sysconfig
> >
> > I want to rename it to just "config" to better reflect what it is, and
> > also move away from the sysconfig name.
> >
> > Problems? Objections?
>
> I really think that if you provide a config file you really want to
> provide a config.d directory too where RPM's can drop in configuration
> files and do e.g.
>
>  PM_STOP_START_SERVICE_ON_SLEEP="$PM_STOP_START_SERVICE_ON_SLEEP some-lame-service"

Good point.

> So I'd say use
>
>  /etc/pm/config     <-- main config file
>  /etc/pm/config.d/  <-- directory for 3rd party packages

Sounds good to me, but I think then we should have /etc/pm/config.d/
always, and separate the existing config file into what they do, e.g.

Have no "master config file"

/etc/pm/config.d/video ; HIBERNATE_RESUME_POST_VIDEO="no"
/etc/pm/config.d/modprobe ; SUSPEND_MODULES="button"

That looks clean from my point of view, as it nicely separates code and
config.

Richard.