[Pm-utils] services

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 27 12:07:37 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 10:40 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:17:02AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Currently in pm/functions:stopservice() we use:
> >
> > /sbin/service "$1" stop
> >
> > Which is very Redhat specific. How do we do the same thing (starting and
> > stopping services) on Suse, Ubuntu, Debian etc?
>
> We should just use the LSB standard which is (IIRC, i might be wrong)
> /etc/init.d/$SERVICE {start|stop}

Agreed, and I'll commit this change to CVS.

> This won't work on slackware, where /etc/rc.d/$SERVICE works.

I'm not the biggest LSB fan in the world, but I suspect the right answer
here is "slackware needs to fix that."

> > We should just add a check for /etc/$distro$-release and use the right
> > script IMO.
>
> maybe only for those that do not follow LSB?

I don't think that's worth the effort.  If they're not following LSB on
this regard, then they've either got to join the rest of the world or
patch this for their own package.

We're trying to do something cross distro here; in regard to things like
where initscripts live, putting them someplace else is basically opting
out.

--
  Peter