[Suspend2-devel] Re: [Pm-utils] Re: Better integration with power management scripts

U Kuehn ukuehn at acm.org
Fri Apr 28 11:42:57 PDT 2006

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> On Friday 28 April 2006 02:49, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

>> Even though I still disagree that putting the code in userspace is the right
>> thing to do,
>
> There are some short-term benefits.  For example, we are able to use the RSA
> for encryption and we support suspend-to-disk-and-RAM on some machines
> with the ability to reinitialize the graphics card if necessary.

Are you really talking about the Rivest-Shamir-Adleman public key
encryption algorithm? What are you using it for?

>> I'm beginning to think in terms of the question "What does
>> uswsusp need to add before Suspend2 can go away?" I guess the answer is
>> that swsusp is catching up in the guts of the functionality (from my pov,
>> admittedly). The main improvements I'd still like to see are the things like
>> the ability to cancel the cycle,
>
> I'm going to implement the ability to cancel the suspend (ie. cancel the image
> saving).  That should be easy in the user space. ;-)

Can uswsusp resume without help from an initrd or initramfs? If not that
would be a rather bad short-term disadvantage. I can use suspend2 just
with a bare kernel. Only on suspend some userspace preparation is needed.

Regards,
Ulrich