[Pm-utils] low power mode

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon May 1 12:17:37 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 19:17 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 07:08:24PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > Well, to integrate with powersaved people are going to want to do:
> >
> > /usr/bin/powersave -e Powersave
> > and
> > /usr/bin/powersave -e Performance
>
> I'm not quite sure why you'd want this - surely powersave should just
> catch an ac event change or button press or whatever? hal (and pm-utils)
> should just be providing generic notifications, not making policy
> decisions like "switch to low power".

Say a vendor wants to turn on the low-power mode of a gpib device when
the ac-power is disconnected -- or vmware decide to be less agressive
reclaiming memory when on low power mode -- or someone wanting to only
run a task when we start low-power-mode. Lots of possibilities.

Having a simple directory to dump the files in means we can solve all
the corner cases with a *minimal* amount of code.

Richard.