[Pm-utils] low power mode

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Mon May 1 23:05:17 PDT 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 08:40:40PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> And, btw, this is slightly off topic for pm-utils - I think the main
> point is that the 1) power management daemon; and 2) the apps should be
> intelligent about this. And that it makes sense to give the user this
> preference. It's just whether the daemon decides to invoke
> pm-setlowpower e.g. SetLowPower() on HAL.

Agreed. And as Matthew pointed out, a binary "Low/High" switch might not be
sufficient, the daemon might actually do more fine grained power saving
stuff. Having the SetLowPower() as a common method invoked by the
daemon in addition to its other power saving stuff might be a good idea
anyway, since it gives a generic interface where ISVs can put their stuff
and where it will work with all environments. Of course the daemons need
to be intelligent about calling SetLowPower, but this should not be a problem.
--
Stefan Seyfried                  \ "I didn't want to write for pay. I
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices      \ wanted to be paid for what I write."