[Pm-utils] Re: Video adapter resuming

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Thu Nov 30 12:12:09 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:56:49PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 20:05 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > It means "machine must not use framebuffer or it will hang during resume".
> > Happens often with Radeons, these machines work fine, but only with VGA
> > console. vga16fb might also work, but i was too lazy to really code this
> > distinction into the s2ram whitelist.
>
> OK, so in this case it means HAL won't do anything with
> vbe_post/vbe_save here if you're using fbcon?  Or am I misunderstanding?

No. If you are not using fbcon, then you cannot suspend at all, since you
won't be able to resume (the machine will hang with FB).
You still need the vbe_post/vbe_save/vbe_mode to get video back after resume
if it did not hang.

So the flag is more a "can_only_suspend_when_not_using_framebuffer" flag :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"