[Pm-utils] Some thoughts about some of the hooks

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Thu Oct 5 12:45:55 PDT 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:50:00 +0200
Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while investigating pm-utils, i went through all the hooks that are
> in the default distribution. This is what i found:

I've been doing the same to see if I can include it into debian, and if
it will play nice with uswsusp. So I just add some of my comments...

> 01grub:
> - should not be the first one that is called. If something fails and
> we do not actually suspend, the user will have a surprise at the next
> reboot.

Won't the hooks be run in reverse order regardless?

> 20video:
> - should be the last thing that is done before suspend, so it will be
> the first thing that runs after resume. Otherwise users that switch
> the console too might cause trouble.
>   This is one reason why s2ram has everything in one binary, to make
> it less likely that somebody else messes around with the video
> hardware. Still not perfect (it should be in the kernel), but we
> might get it there with some help from the uswsusp infrastructure
> (freeze everything but s2ram).

Also 20video doesn't play nice with s2ram/s2both/s2disk. They will do
vt switching and video reboot already. I think 20video should be a
special case function, not one of many in the hooks dir.
Else it's kind of hard to make s2* a drop in replacement for 'echo * >
/sys/power/state'

> - different lists of modules for suspend / hibernate might be a good
> idea (yes, i had a machine with r8169 that needed to be unloaded
> before suspend to RAM otherwise the machine would lock up hard, but
> needed to stay during suspend to disk, otherwise the network was
> dead. The driver is fixed now. :-)

Are you planing to keep a modules blacklist in CVS also? If so it seems
to be a good idea to only accept entries which also have an entry in
the kernel bugzilla.

grts Tim