[Pm-utils] Why do we still ship hal-system-power-pmu / PMU support suboptimal in pm-utils

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Mon Dec 3 01:51:17 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 06:45:03PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 10:00 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > I have to add, that pm-utils in Debian does not ship pm-pmu (it was
> > removed by the Debian maintainer deliberately), as we tried to make
> > pm-utils an arch:all package (only shell scripts)
>
> Please don't do this.

care to give a reason? I think this is very reasonable.

> >  and provide the pmu
> > functionality (together with support for all the other quirks) in one
> > single binary
>
> No, that's no how it is supposed to be put together.

Why?

> > , s2ram from the uswsusp package [2]. Apparently this has
> > led to problems [3] for people using pm-utils, but don't have the
> > uswsusp package installed.
>
> Why do you need to use pm-utils and uswsusp? Doesn't the kernel method
> work? It sounds like this is packaged in an odd way.

The kernel method is slow and has no support for splash screens. You cannot
do s2both with it.

> > The question now is, where to put this pmu support: hal, pm-utils or s2ram?
> > I personally would like to remove hal-system-power-suspend-linux from
> > hal, pm-pmu from pm-utils (so pm-utils becomes a arch:all shell script
> > only package) and move all the nasty stuff into one binary, s2ram,
> > which then deals with stuff like poking /dev/pmu, VBE save/restore
> > etc.
>
> No. s2ram should just _do_ the suspend, not muck about with quirks and
> poking pmu - the pm-utils infrastructure should do this. The "nasty

i absolutely disagree. The only advantage that you get by doing it in
ugly shell scripts is that you pull in lots of dependencies and are
more susceptible to race conditions. Putting all the quirks into one
binary (which should probably even be mlock()ed) makes suspend much
less error prone.
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices             |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)