[Pm-utils] pm-suspend: should use quirks by default

Terry Barnaby terry at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Dec 6 01:15:34 PST 2007

Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:06:54AM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
>> On Do Dezember 6 2007, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
>>
>>> There is no quirks database in pm-utils.
>>> If you are talking about HAL's quirk database, why not just call pm-suspend
>>> via the HAL method? Then the quirks will be used.
>> What is the command for this?
>
> "powersave -u" for example. There is surely some weird dbus-send command
> that can also do this, but i always just use the powersave command line
> tool (wich AFAIK only calls the respective HAL methods in the later releases
> and does not use or need a running powersaved).
>
> Maybe packing some wrapper scripts around dbus-send into pm-utils (or HAL)
> packages would also be a good idea, but i never had the need for that thanks
> to the powersave command line tool :-)

There is no powersave command on Fedora 8 by default.
A lot of web information describes the use of pm-suspend/pm-hibernate etc.
On Fedora 8 pm-suspend is in /usr/bin (as well as /usr/sbin) and thus
expected to be called by end users.

So, I believe, either pm-suspend should be made to work using the quirks
by default or it should be made only usable by root. It is ** BAD ** to
have a user runnable program that could relatively easily crash the
system ....

Mind you I think that these quirks should be built into the kernel :)

Cheers

Terry