[Pm-utils] Resume via quirks, not using the DBUS method, Was: Release Candidates ?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 05:22:00 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 13:37 +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:59:53 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 00:59 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >  1. Need a pm-utils release and the associated glue for HAL. Richard,
> > >     can you drive this one (I can throw staplers at Peter if needed)?
> > >     Thanks! This is a release blocker.
> >
> > Attached patches (to pm-utils and HAL) propagate the quirk information
> > onto the tools via the command line.
> >

> Any reason you didn't change the --quirk-* named as stefan and I would like
> for s2ram compatibility?

Yes. Having dashes *and* underscores in the option seemed wrong to me.

> Tim wrote:
> > Can we have them a bit differently? Like
> >
> >     --quirk-vbe_save:   save VBE state before suspending and restore after resume.
> >     --quirk-vbe_post:   VBE POST the graphics card after resume
> >     --quirk-vbe_mode:   get VBE mode before suspend and set it after resume
> >
> > And maybe we can also support these in hal?
> >
> >     --quirk-pci_save:   save the PCI config space for the VGA card.
> >     --quirk_radeontool: turn off the backlight on radeons before suspending.

Sure, but I think --pci-save is more sane than --pci_save IMO.

Also, let me get these patches in, and then we can add more options -
patches on patches are never a good idea.

> > That way they equal the command-line options of s2ram (except for the
> > --quirk of course)
> >
> > Finally, maybe we can add s3_mode and s3_bios (bios=1, mode=2, both=1+2), that
> > is the way the go into /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags. That can also
> > be done in pm-tools.
>
> stefan wrote :
>
> > Ok for me. I also like Tim's suggestion of different names (i'd probably
> > drop the "--quirk"-prefix and just call them "--s3_bios", "--s3_mode" etc),
> > but i do not really care about that since we can always fix that in pm-utils.
> > Short options would be nice ;-)

I'll drop the quirk prefix, new patches are attached.

Richard.