[Pm-utils] 60sysfont? 65alsa? WTF? :-)

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue Feb 20 11:10:56 PST 2007

Hi,

i noticed that there are some new hooks added.

60sysfont is clearly not needed on many systems. And neither ubuntu 6.10,
nor Pardus nor openSUSE10.[0123] even have /sbin/setsysfont. So this should
go into a "pm-utils-redhat.tar.gz" IMO.

Maybe we could add a subdirectory "distro/$FOO" where we could collect
distro-specific hooks like that?

Next thing i noticed is 65alsa.
This is clearly working around a broken sound driver, isn't it?
How about fixing the driver instead?

I have been getting the argument for years that "powersaved is hindering
development; By working around the driver bugs, you are not helping in
getting them fixed".

And we should not, IMO, work around driver bugs in the default shipping
configuration. We should just encourage the users who encounter those bugs
to file a report against the kernel. We can then still tell them how to
create a hook to work around the problem until the kernel is fixed.
I have documented this for example on http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

Of course every distribution packager is free to package whatever they
like, but we should not in the default configuration ship these workarounds.

Yes, there might be some exceptions (see the thread at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.suspend.devel/1204/focus=1233
on why i implemented "--pci_save" in s2ram instead of "just" fixing the
kernel).
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"