[Pm-utils] pm-utils on suse 10.2 and suspend2

Holger Macht hmacht at suse.de
Mon Jan 8 02:26:07 PST 2007

On Mon 08. Jan - 10:20:01, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 01:59 -0800, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:
> >
> > I must say, acpi, powersaved, pm-utils, and kpowersave mix is a mess.
> > If on the pm-utils list the best solution is rpm -e pm-utils, then
> > hmm...  :)
>
> I'm not sure that was official advice, just enough to get things working
> for you. :-) We haven't technically had a pm-utils release yet, so we
> can expect things to take a while to settle down.
>
> In an ideal world we'll all be using just pm-utils for either suspend2,
> either via powersaved or using kernel suspend using HAL. I know mandriva
> are taking the pm-utils via HAL approach, as I know Fedora will.

And SUSE already does this with openSUSE 10.2 release.

> Holger, how is pm-utils wired into powersaved now? Thanks.

Powersaved is, or at least what it was, is kind of dead. The suspend
infrastructure provided by it will be removed by me these days. It was
just kept because we wanted to have a fallback in case we will not be able
to use pm-utils for openSUSE 10.2 for whatever reasons.

What powersaved is in 10.2 and will continue to be is a policy manager for
systems without X, same as kpowersave or gnome-power-manager, just without
a graphical user interface.

Regards,
	Holger