[Pm-utils] Userspace suspend support for pm-utils

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue Jun 5 14:55:04 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 07:26:21AM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 22:55 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > Hi,
> > and again, the monthly reminder that we still do not support anything
> > uswsusp with upstream pm-utils.
> > Is there anything blocking the merge of something like that?
>
> This both adds support and changes behaviour by making the new method
> the default. Shouldn't it be two patches?

strictly speaking: yes. But it only changes behaviour if the userspace suspend
tools are installed.
Those distributions that ship them already have similar patches like this one
(at least the debian package uses pretty much the same patch).
Those that don't do not see a change in behaviour.

So i think it is a pretty good way of handling this.
We can of course default to the in-kernel suspend also, this would be a
trivial change, but then the whole "autodetect the suspend method" algorithm
is not working anymore and the users cannot simply uninstall the userspace
suspend package to change the method.
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)