[Pm-utils] Userspace suspend support for pm-utils

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Fri Jun 8 02:37:18 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:04:28AM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 23:55:04 +0200
> Stefan Seyfried <seife at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > (at least the debian package uses pretty much the same patch).
>
> At the moment we're using the following. When s2ram is installed, it

(I was maintly talking about the pm/functions bit, which is pretty much
 the same)

> uses the quirks coming from hal. If hal didn't supply any it will use
> s2ram's. It it isn't there either we currently try it anyway (which I'm
> not to happy about...)

Yes, i'll probably not do that "do it anyway", at least not without a big
honking warning in the logfiles.

I'll aplly your pm-action patches to my package so that, even if we are
apparently not able to push this upstream for whatever reason, we only
have one "fork" of pm-utils and not many of them :-)

> One problem is that hal doesn't distinguish between 'not known' and 'do
> not need quirks'. It ought too IMHO. Then we can really determine if it
> is save to suspend or not.

Hm, that's a real blocker for using of the HAL whitelist IMO. Expecting
that "we never heard of this machine, so it'll probably work just fine" is
pretty naive, given past experience.
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)