[Pm-utils] powertop suggestions

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Fri Jun 29 10:22:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:50:21PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 13:37 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > When using powertop I'm told to do:
> > >
> > > echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs
> >
> > that is mostly because fedora sets it to 30 (300ms) on AC (which is
> > insanely short)
>
> What are the ideal values for this on AC and battery?
>
> > > echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
> >
> > this probably just wants to be done always, regardless of AC/battery

Holy cow, NO!
Laptop mode kills performance badly, even the performance of a NFS mount.
And with my measurements showing that disk spindown has more psychological
than real powersaving effects on modern laptop drives, i'd say we should
not do it unless the users asks for "kill my performance badly for a few
minutes more battery lifetime".
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)