[Pm-utils] Re: pm-utils' 55battery: WTF?

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Wed Mar 14 10:55:41 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 05:17:31PM +0100, Holger Macht wrote:
> > For the record, I'd much rather that pm-suspend went away (e.g. moved
> > into /usr/sbin) and command line users started used something like
> > xdg-suspend (that don't exist yet, but look at Portland) to poke the
> > desktop session power management daemon via e.g. the mythical
> > o.fd.PowerManagement D-Bus session bus interface (that we _still_
> > haven't standardized on). Notably this command could fall back to poking
> > HAL for the really bizarre use cases where you're not running in a
> > desktop session.
>
> That's basically what we've done in openSUSE after the transition from the
> powersave daemon towards HAL and pm-utils. The old powersave command line
> client has become the policy agent for users on the command line or for
> servers where you don't have kpowersave or gnome-power-manager. I'm
> advertising to run 'powersave -u/-U' instead of pm-suspend/pm-hibernate to
> our users all the time, and the powersave binary cares about the policy
> and calls HAL's suspend/hibernate method in the end.

Or, as i have written in http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils and also told
everybody interested at fosdem: pm-suspend and pm-hibernate called directly
are good for debugging stuff, but not for daily use.

People who are debugging should know that this is not the perfect tool for
all their suspend needs, and they should be able to cope with the problem
that their battery might have a wrong serial number in HAL.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."