[Pm-utils] wiki spam

Nigel Cunningham nigel at nigel.suspend2.net
Wed Apr 2 22:38:41 PDT 2008

Hi.

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 20:25 -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:
> So, as an experiment, I cleaned out all the a-z wikispam yesterday, and
> today there are 20 new a-z spam pages in the wiki.
>
> I am going to go out on a limb and assume that no-one on the mailing
> list is particularly interested in despamming the wiki on a regular
> basis (I know I am not).
>
> Any objections to nuking the wiki and just using static pages?  I do not
> especially want fd.o resources being used to sell farmed gold and boot
> someone else's pagerank on Google.

You said it was Moin based, didn't you? I had similar issues with the
TuxOnice wiki until I:

* made a group that could edit pages,
* added all the people with accounts that had validly edited/added pages
in the past,
* added a message to the front page telling people who want to add/edit
pages where to request access and...
* set the default acl to only allow that group to add/edit.

Perhaps that concept might work for you?

Regards,

Nigel