[Pm-utils] POSIXification of pm-utils

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 11:07:44 PST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008 12:08 PM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> On Sun January 13 2008, Victor Lowther wrote:
>
> > Comments, patches, flames, praise, etc. welcome!
>
> http://hg.fnordovax.org/pm-utils/file/73184527be5d/pm/functions
>        66 take_suspend_lock()
>        67 {
>        68       # file creation and reading is not atomic.
>        69       # Directory creation is.
>        70       try_lock "$LOCKDIR" || return 1
>        71       VT=$(fgconsole)
>
> The comments here should go to line 60, where they make more sense, imho.:
>
>        56 release_lock()
>        57 {
>        58       # $1 = directory used as the lock directory
>        59       # is it our directory?
>        60       ! [ -d "$1" -a $(cat "$1/pid") -eq $$ ] || return 1
>        61       rm -rf "$1"
>        62       return $?
>        63 }

Moved.

> Btw. I guess this directory was created by accident:
> http://hg.fnordovax.org/pm-utils/file/73184527be5d/src/pm/

It is not present in my copy of the tree, and hasn't been since
sometime yesterday evening. :)

> I also noticed you changed the location of on_ac_power,  pm-action,
> pm-is-supported and pm-powersave, maybe you then also want to move the
> installed pm-action to /usr/lib/libexec/ instead, because afaik this is where
> executables that are not meant to be executed by a user, should go.

If I changed the location of where things were supposed to go during
install, it was by accident.  I have less than a days experience
working with autotools, and the directory hierarchy I got from CVS
was... interesting. I was forced to do a bit of surgery -- I suspect
CVS and its horribly broken way of handling anything vaguely involving
a file or directory move or rename is to blame.

Anyone else think that moving away from CVS for source control is a
good idea?  I am partial to Mercurial, but any of the modern
distributed source control systems would be lightyears better than
CVS.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional