[Pm-utils] [patch commit] [000] POSIXification of pm-utils

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Jan 28 11:13:04 PST 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008 17:22:07 Victor Lowther wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 12:32 AM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> > On Sun January 27 2008, Victor Lowther wrote:
> > > Adds a generic locking mechanism built around directory
> > > creation/removal.
> >
> > I would prefer here to use the noclobber redirection instead of directory
> > creation for a lockfile in store it in /var/lock (e.g. /var/log/pm-utils)
> > instead of /tmp/.suspended.
>
> Patches welcome.  Remember to take into account cleaning the stale
> lockfiles in case of system reboot, including the issues surrounding
> PID and datestamp checking.

In opposite to /tmp, /var/lock is cleaned in Fedora on startup. Is this not
the case on debian? I guess cleaning /var/lock on startup is only sane. But I
guess to make this really sure, every maintainer of pm-utils for a distro has
to make sure that that the lockfile is really removed on startup. A sample
script could be added to pm-utils and a note in the README.

What do you mean with PID and datestamp checking?

Regards,
Till