[Pm-utils] [RFC] Switch to git, opening up for external contributors

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Wed Jan 30 03:41:48 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 05:19:58PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> pm-utils is becoming more and more important as hal is pushing for it
> as preferred power management backend. A lot of distributions are
> using hal/pm-utils nowadays but they have to carry around a lot of
> distro specific patches. It's almost as every distro has an own "fork"
> of pm-utils.
> Unfortunately the acceptance of external patches has been very low.
> Would it be possible to open up the project for external contributions?
>
> As a first step, I'd propose to move to a more modern SCM, like git.

Why? CVS was never the problem of pm-utils.

> As a second step, to share the workload, more people should get commit
> access, like the Mandriva, openSUSE and Debian maintainers, which have
> posted a lot of patches during the last months.

This would be the first project for me where i would need to use git
and i am not interested in that at all, especially as it does not help
anything.
--
Stefan Seyfried
R&D Team Mobile Devices            |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)