[Pm-utils] [patch review request] Remove hardcoded /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions dependence

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 07:10:24 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 9:07 AM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2008 7:02 AM, Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 2008 8:11 AM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Give this a shot:
> > >
> > > .SUFFIXES: .in
> > > .in:
> > >     $(do_subst) $< > $@
> > >
> > > .SUFFIXES are old-style pattern rules. This is what automake uses to
> > > be portable across make variants when constricting pattern rules for
> > > .c, .o, etc.
> >
> > Nice.  Patch attached (applies on the top of the other two patches in
> > this series).
>
> It's actually .SUFFIXES (with the leading .). I don't think SUFFIXES:
> is a valid directive.

It is an automake vs. make thing -- when I tried it with .SUFFIXES,
automake told me "don't do that, stupid, use SUFFIXES instead", and a
bit of Googling found that automake automatically generates the right
.SUFFIXES clauses when you use SUFFIXES.
http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/cgi-bin/info2www?(automake)Suffixes for
reference.