[Pm-utils] Release?

Victor Lowther victor.lowther at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 14:27:31 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 18:31 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> 2008/3/16, Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 18:16 -0500, Victor Lowther wrote:
> >  > On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 23:43 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >  > > 2008/3/15, Victor Lowther <victor.lowther at gmail.com>:
> >  > > More bugs:
> >  > > Running pm-is-supported as not root:
> >  > >
> >  > > # pm-is-supported --suspend && echo yes
> >  > > mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/run/pm-utils/storage': Permission denied
> >  > > yes
> >  > > # pm-is-supported --help
> >  > > mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/run/pm-utils/storage': Permission denied
> >  > > pm-is-supported [--suspend | --hibernate | --suspend-hybrid ]
> >  >
> >  > Fixing that the right way will be slightly tricker.  I will postpone
> >  > looking at this until tomorrow --  I have a party to get ready for.
> >

> > Fix comitted and pushed upstream.  Now we only try to parse blacklist
> >  entries and load default parameters after we have taken the suspend
> >  lock.
>
> Hm, seems I missed to review your vlowther-dynamic-hook-disable changes.
> Honestly, I'm a bit sceptical about adding this new /etc/pm/parameters
> and /etc/pm/blacklists interface.
>
> We already have a (documented) mechanism for users to disable a hook
> (which is, to create a non-executable file in /etc/pm/sleep.d/. Why do
> we need another mechanism?

The hook-disabling mechanism is not primarily for users -- it is for
modules and other hooks.  I added the blacklist-parsing code because it
is a bit more intuitive than masking out a system hook by creating a
nonexecutable file.

> Second, do we really need to pass parameters to hooks? I haven't
> needed it so far. Imho we should only add functionality which is
> actually used.

I use it.  If I don't pass --quirk-none (or mask 99video out using a
blacklist entry or a nonexecutable hook), then the paramaters hal passes
to pm-suspend will hardlock my system on reboot everytime when it tries
to POST the card.  HAL currently does not take the video card and video
driver into account when deciding which quirks to pass to pm-suspend,
and until it does I will need this sort of functionality.

> Besides, those two new interfaces are completely undocumented.

Mea culpa.  I will document them.

--
Victor Lowther
Ubuntu Certified Professional